Monday, November 19, 2012

Outdoor Wednesday: cows




Cows have cow's milk, man have human milk. But that's not enough, man have used cow's milk for their own consumption. But when some scientist discovered that colostrum is the best thing since sliced bread, that's not right. A friend from Malaysia came to Singapore extolling the goodness of colostrum, and selling it at an exorbitant price. I put my foot down and wrote this poem.



Moo Moo Moo
Where is my mum?
I am a bobby calf in New Zealand


Moo Moo Moo
The big two legged creature in gum boots,
removed me before I am weaned.


Moo Moo Moo
My mum looks for me
Some tanker came and took away her first milk which is meant for me.

Boo hoo hoo
I was deprived of my colostrum
I am designated as choice veal in the USA

Boo hoo hoo
I hear Fontera is in trouble,
All for the greed of some men in China.


Colostrum (also known as beestings or first milk or "immune milk") is a form of milk produced by the mammary glands of mammals in late pregnancy and the few days after giving birth.

Effects in infants

Colostrum is high in carbohydrates, protein, and antibodies and low in fat (as human newborns may find fat difficult to digest). Newborns have very small digestive systems, and colostrum delivers its nutrients in a very concentrated low-volume form. It has a mild laxative effect, encouraging the passing of the baby's first stool, which is called meconium. This clears excess bilirubin, a waste product of dead red blood cells which is produced in large quantities at birth due to blood volume reduction, from the infant's body and helps prevent jaundice. In humans and mice, colostrum contains immunoglobulins such as IgA and IgM. IgA will be absorbed through the intestinal epithelial, travel through the blood and will be secreted onto other Type 1 mucosal surfaces. Colostrum also contains a variety of growth factors (IGfs).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colostrum




http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com

No comments: