Friday, April 13, 2012

photohunt: Home


These apartments, 7A and 31A at Nanyang View, at Nanyang Technological University were home to us for 16 years in Singapore.


Home is not just the premises, but the people who live in there, and the people who come to visit. We opened our house, including friends we met at the Jurong Bird Park. These couple came from New York, and the mum-daughter pair from Japan. After 7/11, I often wonder how they (American couple) were.



We lived up on top of a hill. Once I was gardening at the slope here.


































We lived here for 20 months while the Nanyang View Apartments were renovated. It is 4 storeys high with another storey inside the apartment. There was no elevators and this was where my friends joke that I got my sexy calves.

In Singapore, there is dengue fever. The university estate office schedule thermal fogging twice a week to try curb the spread of the mosquito. Thermal fogging creates a smoke, in which the chemical is added, it expands throughout an air space, filling it, and works its way into cracks and crevices which will leave no residue on surfaces and deposits the pesticide to places where conventional spray treatments cannot.
Thermal Fogging acts like a ‘flusher’ to all kinds of insects. It will disturb them from their hiding places and make them leave the building ,

We were grateful we lived on the upper level, the fog don't get into my apartment as much than my friends apartments in the lower level.




My parents home in Australia was full of babies and toddler's pitter-patter.


My dad was a civil servant, and the head of a regional office. These were the houses in the past were built for an English colonial master. They had servant quarters either downstairs or joined to the main house. Very reminiscent of the BBC TV Series, Upstairs and Downstairs.






































My holiday home when I go to Australia. It belongs to my brother Joseph.


http://gattina-keyholepictures.blogspot.co.nz/2011/11/list-of-photo-hunting-themes.html

http://gattina-keyholepictures.blogspot.co.nz/

6 comments:

Carver said...

Great post for the home theme.

Gattina said...

Interesting homes, and very modern, I mean the first pictures. Wonderful house of your brother in Australia. A paradise for holidays !

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is really your brother's house? It is a mansion, he must have a very good job...

eastcoastlife said...

We still have thermal fogging monthly in our apartments. The mosquitoes are like commandos these days. :D

Your brother has a beautiful house in Australia. I should go buy a house there!

LifeRamblings said...

your brother has such a gorgeous home to live in. a true paradise holiday.

katherine said...

gorgeous homes.

thanks for the lovely comment on my blog.