Friday, May 13, 2011

Friday Shootout: Nurses


This was Andrew's Dutch Physiotherapist, Majolien who persisted in coaching Andrew to feed, and devised an elaborate feeding plan.

Dr Bobby Tsang was not only Andrew's doctor, he was our personal friend. Here he was at the garden of the Corbetts with Ling Ling his wife, taken during a farewell party for us as we were leaving for Singapore. Bobby, You are the best.

Daphne, Andrew's favourite Day nurse. She was nursing until last year, and I wish I had gone to the hospital to see her earlier. I am happy she is now married. I gave my book to Nurse Janny to pass it to her. Daphne is what the Chinese would call, " Money can't buy." She had two Polaroid photos taken, and she gave them to me later when we had left ICU.
p%2Bentrance.jpg">






The hospital is now here. I went back and had a tour guided by Doctor Aftimos.
http://mytownshootout.blogspot.com/

http://mytownmrlinky.blogspot.com/

http://sundayscans.blogspot.com/

Al http://alsphotographyblog.blogspot.com/.




http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com


the theme for May 13 is in honor of Nurses. May 11th is Nurses Day. So show us your medical personal, nurses, doctors, helpers, hospitals, doctor offices of your town.

Now the calendar I have next to my computer has May 11th as Nurses Day. When I tried to find info on it, I found a National Nurses Week tribute, all with different dates. ?? It is celebrated from May 6 to the 12th.
National Nurses Day, also known as National RN Recognition Day, is always celebrated on May 6th and opens National Nurses Week. National Nurses Week begins each year on May 6th and ends on May 12th, the birth date of Florence Nightingale.

The history of Nurses Day can be traced back to 1953 when Dorothy Sutherland of the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare sent a proposal to President Eisenhower to proclaim a "Nurse Day" in October of the following year. The proclamation was never made, but the following year National Nurses Week was observed from October 11 – 16, marking the 100th anniversary of Florence Nightingale's mission to Crimea.

Thank you Doreen for this theme, which is so close to my heart.

In 1989, I "lived" 55 days in the ICU at the national women's hospital in Auckland New Zealand. My son Andrew was born with a fatal syndrome called Campomelic dysplasia . The nurses, doctors, social workers were ministering angels. I published my book : Diary of a Bereaved Mother, http://annkitsuetchin.blogspot.com/ this year.

Unfortunately I didn't take many photos of the ward and the doctors and nurses.

Dedications

To doctors Andrew James, Simon Rowley and Salim Aftimos

All the caring nurses, physiotherapists and staff at Ward 11A in National Womens’ Hospital back in 1989

Wendy Green

Rev. Don and Olwyn Dickson


Since we had blogging trouble, I am combining Friday shootout, Outdoor Wednesday and Sunday scans in this post. They are part of the Hospital life of my late son Andrew.

5 comments:

spiritsoflena said...

I like the way you honored nurses and doctors who touched your life.

Unknown said...

Thank goodness you are well. That was a great post and so heart felt.
QMM

Pauline said...

A beautiful tribute to those who have meant so much to you, Ann.

DawnTreader said...

So sorry for your tragedy. This is a very touching post honoring the hospital staff.

Unknown said...

I love the picture of Daphne and Andrew. this post is very touching and a wonderful tribute to those that get very little recognition.