Sunday, January 16, 2011

save the world : they saved the Cornwallis Wharf.










http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com/

This is a good example of success. The people and the government together saved something and gave something for future generation to enjoy.

The Cornwallis wharf was built c.1926-1927 and started being used in 1928. In the early days, ferries were an important means of transport. Soon the roads were built and cars took over. It became of last of 16 Manukau wharves. In 1954 it was in a bad state of repair and the outer section of the 195m long structure was demolished with usable timber salvaged to repair the inner portion.

In 1998, the S.C.O.W. Save Cornwallis Old wharf action group and the Auckland Regional Council banded together and restored the bridge to it's old glory.

SCOW was formed in July 1994 to rescue the aging Cornwallis Wharf from impending demolition. It was the last of sixteen decaying wharves on the Manukau Harbour
The new wharf opened in July 1999.

Ordinary people pledged donations, and the little oval discs on the planks show their names. I had a quick look. Some people donated in memory of their deceased loved ones, " In memory of XXX who loved the wharf. I think these commemorative discs are great, and give people incentives to donate to the fund. There is a sign suggesting users of the wharf to say a quiet thank you to these sponsors.

This is greatly enjoyed for fishing and diving, including my son and his friends.

We went yesterday, and from afar, I saw the jetty. I was so pleased because last week, George the senior hiker posted a wonderful photo taken from the underneath of the pier. I had never been to one, but yesterday I had my chance. Unfortunately there were shadows, and I could not submit a good one to my tutor, George.

The boys want to go again, I will try again. Please go to my other blogs for other photos.

9 comments:

George said...

Hi, Ann,

You've got great pictures of the water and pier. Unfortunately that bright sun will make it difficult to get a picture under the wharf without a shadow. Your best bet may be to try on a cloud day -- I got my picture on a cloudy day. You might also try when the sun is low on the horizon. But above all, keep trying.

Ginny Hartzler said...

These are very good photos! How wonderful that it was saved and the discs are a splendid idea!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I'm just seeing your hearts and your pretty geode below. The peony picture is exquisite!!! Where is it, is it a cut one in your house? Oh, too funny that you're feeding a slug, ick what a huge one! I'm sure the children will LOVE it!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

What great pictures girl! I'm just thrilled that ya'll saved such a wonderful place with so much history and memories.

God bless and have a marvelous day sweetie!!!

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for this wonderful, encouraging story.

Jama said...

It's good that historical place is preserved for the future generations to enjoy.

Reader Wil said...

It's important to save old buildings and objects for the sake of history.

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures Ann...wishing you a great 2011...the year of the rabbit :)

Reader Wil said...

Thanks for your visit. You said that you would miss the green grass. Well we have plenty of grass in the parks and in gardens. But fortunately the streets are kept tidy without grass or other weeds. I don't like grass in my garden, as my garden is too small and I hate grassmowing.