Friday, November 12, 2010

Friday shootout: Over your head.


Here up the cliff is the mouth of the cave where a million bats fly in and out. Unfortunately for us, it poured with heavy tropical torrential rain. The bats decided to stay dry and did not perform their welcoming dance for us.




Up on top of a tree, bug scientists tied bag with holes to trap insects so they could study them. Right now, in my teaching room, I have a worm farm which also doubles as a shield bug home. The kids love watching them. one of the shield bugs laid some eggs and some of them had hatched. I would loved to show you my curious kids, but I am not allowed to. I must remember to photograph the farm.

The tour guide told us to look up the tree, everyone did that and many took photos. I took a fellow traveler looking up and taking her photo.




http://mytownshootout.blogspot.com/

http://mytownmrlinky.blogspot.com/

Member Voice for November 12 - Over Your Head
When out and about on walks where do you look? What do you see or what catches your attention? We usually are looking in front of us, to the side or sometimes we look back. Unless you are a bird watcher, do you look up? Do you notice what is above your head way up high? Well here is your chance to get creative and show us what is UP in your town. Have fun shooters!

This theme gives me another opportunity to show case my trip to Mulu Caves in Borneo.

For another photo which I posted yesterday to my other site, please go to this link. I posted a big flock of pigoens flying which would suit this theme.

http://ann-mythoughtsandphotos.blogspot.com/2010/11/skywatch-friday-flying-pigeons.html

11 comments:

Maya said...

I've never been at a cave at dawn or dusk to watch the bats exit/enter the cave, but it something I want to do. When we hit the trails I usually walk slowly so that I don't miss anything. I love flora and fauna, but I also like observing texture and contrast.

Ginny Hartzler said...

What is that thing in the third picture, just part of the cave? Those cliffs look very awe inspiring even with no bats flying around!

~JarieLyn~ said...

Wonderful cave pictures, Ann. My favorite though is of the giant tree.

I'm so glad the bats weren't there to welcome you. That would be a little scary.

Kerry said...

Oooh, that is a huge cave in a gigantic cliff: very impressive. I have been to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico and it was amazing to watch the bats pour out at dusk. Spectacular.

Gattina said...

Yikes ! a worm farm ! I prefer cows ! Bats are nice to observe, they look so funny when they hang upside down.

DawnTreader said...

That's an impressive cliff. I'm not sure I'd like to visit a cave full of bats though. (I don't think I've ever seen a bat IRL, come to think of it.)

Jama said...

Impressive cave but I think I can do without those million bats. Only seen bats in big number flying out of cave in movies/tv..the closest I've come to a bat is in the zoo! :p

GingerV said...

it is remarkable how that first photo looks so much like the rock and vegetaion around Rio. There the rocks also 'cry' after a rain.

In the eye of the beholder said...

That would a great picture to see all the bats flying out of the cave as long as they didn't get to close to you. These are great pictures. Thank you for Sharing the experance.

Sarah Siwicki said...

Love the picture looking up at the cave and your shot of the cave's ceiling is too cool.

Cheers
Sarah-Paige
Nitty Gritty Looks Up

Unknown said...

interesting cave shots Ann. I have been in the caverns once a long time ago. quite the experience. love the first shot!