Saturday, November 14, 2009

Sunday Stills, the next challenge: Fins, Feathers and Fur



I usually buy my fish whole, This is much cheaper than buying them fillets or steaks. The fish monger will clean them for you. If you ask nicely, they will half or quarter them too.

I bought this fish for it's mean look. It is a grey Dory. I think of Nemo and his friend Dory, The fish is not only mean in look, it has hard bones and it was very difficult to debone it. I won't buy it again.

In July, Sam and I went to the Mulu caves in Borneo. We stayed in a luxurious resort, and were treated like royalties. In the evening, dancers of various Sarawak tribes entertained us. This brave warrior has a very adornate head dress.

When we arrived in the TUKTUK vehicle, dancers greeted us. You can see the female dancer holding her feather fan. The male dancer had a feather stuck in his head.


Around Easter, some birds shed their feathers. I saw these floating in the lake.

In Western Springs, my favourite park resides ducks, geese, swans, chickens. Once when I was there, I found lots of feathers. You can guess I picked them up. At the end of the year, I got the kids to make their own feather pencil as Christmas presents. This term, the littlies went to the farm. We made the same pencils again.


I was at Rotorua with my sister Elizabeth, and we saw an Ostrich farm. I picked up some feathers and used it as teaching aids. Last term, my school had a production of "Gentlemen of Fortune" about pirates. I stuck a feather in my hat throughout the term. The kids were little pirates.

I am not a fur person, the main reason being I can't afford it and I can't afford the dry cleaning after. So is sheep skin rug considered fur? In New Zealand, at least when my kids were born, all babies were given by some one a sheep skin rug. D still keeps her for keep sake even though she is 24 and is in sunny Singapore.
Sunday Stills, the next challenge: Fins, Feathers and Fur
Posted in Sunday Stills Challenge of the Week, the next challenge with tags Sunday Stills on November 8, 2009 by Ed

Ya’ll wanted a challenge,well ya got one. Lets see just how good you are, try not to use archives but they will be O.K. I’m sure most of ya will have the Fur catagory covered, so the true challenge will be the Fins and Feathers..:-))

See ya’ll next Sunday.
http://sundaystills.wordpress.com/

You may say I love birds. Their feathers are so beautiful and useful. In New Zealand, the Maoris use the feather a lot. They have a very elaborate cloak when they wear at special occasions. In this post I took during Waitangi day, during the Powhiri, or official greetings, the main dancer had a feather worn in his head. http://annkschin.blogspot.com/2009/02/new-zealand-waitangi-day-2009-powhiri.html

6 comments:

Sara Diana said...

Fantastic photos and lovely to hear about different cultures.

Barry said...

Excellent photos. I can't even imagine how big that ostrich feather must have been!

And, yes, that was one mean looking fish!

wenn said...

great shots..

Tammie Lee said...

Interesting post Ann. You indeed live in a land with its own wonderful gifts. Our native peoples use feathers for many things also. From decorating clothing, shields, jewelry to using them as a fan with the smoke of sage to purify ones home and body. I am sure so much more.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Ann: I catch my fish in the fresh water not the ocean. These are neat photos of these fish. I fillet all the fish I catch myself.

CTG Ponies said...

Excellent pics and some nice history.