Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Plunket Society



Plunket Society http://annkschin.blogspot.com/2009/01/rotunda-at-potters-park.html

I was at St Luke's shopping mall when this Appeal stand attracted my attention. You see, I am very passionate about the Plunket Society. I am passionate about many things like the environment, cruelty to animals, raising funds for the sick from Nepal and the deaf in Kenya.

But the Plunket Society, www.plunket.org.nz it was different, for once I wasn't the giver. I was a recipient of their work.

When I was a young mum, I didn't have immediate family with me. It was hard especially when I was sick when I was pregnant with my third child. The Plunket society had volunteers and nurses in their Plunket rooms. When things were getting too difficult for me, all I had to do was to call them, and they would come to pick me and my girls D and G up. If I had a sleepless night, there was a comfortable room and bed for me to catch my nine winks and they would take care of my girls.

It was exactly twenty years ago when I used their services. I am most appreciative of the last service they rendered me. They came when I called them, and one of the ladies drove me to the doctor when they felt I was really sick. I threw up in her car, and she said it was OK. She waited for me at the doctor's. The doctor said my pregnancy wasn't too good and told me to go to the hospital. The plunket lady drove me to the hospital where I was admitted. The other ladies took care of D and G until the water engineer could come to pick them up. It was a Monday. I was discharged the next day.

Andrew was born that Friday. He died shortly after. The plunket ladies sent me a card and told me that I could always go back to their rooms. I didn't like to go back because there was always babies there and I couldn't bear to see babies. But my daughter G had bad allergies and I had to take her there to see Dr. Rowley. The nurses knew that I wasn't sleeping well, and told me to rest while they took care of Gabrielle. Then I went to Singapore and never thanked them properly.

Today, I wrote them a note. It's twenty years late. I thanked them. I have moved on and today, I use my loss to comfort bereaved mothers.

At their appeal stand was Ng MeiLing and Rachel. Meiling was very friendly as she handled my pledge form. She looks Samoan and like my student Celyn, she has Chinese parentage. We chatted and she told me she went to China in 2005 for a month. She was in the Miss Bikini Of the Universe Contest. I went back to take this photo. Meiling is on the left.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a very moving story Ann..and I am so sorry you lost a child. I can never imagine the pain of having lost our own child..and many times when I was upset of my own kids, hub will remind me of the gift they are to us. That usually stops me at track and think about how great the kids are. This 'plunket' thing sure sounds very good, I dont think we have anything close...sadly. Have a good week ahead..

Vicky said...

Hi! Ann, I am so sorry to learn that you have lost Andrew yet on the other hand I am glad that you have moved on and now use your loss to comfort bereaved mothers.
May God richly bless those who serve in the Plunket society.

GingerV said...

thank you for sharing your personal story as it makes you a real person for me. I have never heard of the Plunket Society - I will take a minute and looke them up on the Internet. hugs and kisses

Jama said...

I never heard or Plunket Society here, but it's amazing at what they're doing to help the community. So sorry to hear of your loss, am glad that you've finally put everything behind you and move on. For a mother to loose a child, it's something one can never forget. too many 'what if' that always haunting. hugs to you.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

The Plunket Society is only in New Zealand. If you click on my first link, you will find the History of this wonderful society.

After I posted this blog, I sent them an email yesterday, heading thank you, twent years too late.

Today, after work, I got this email from them thanking me for my message and support. It is this kind of personal attention that is so "Plunket" of them. One would think a big organisation would be very bureaucratic and take ages to reply.

Ka Pai Plunket.

Trudy said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I pray that God brings you great comfort.

I've been enjoying your blog. I would love for you to come and visit my blog as well, www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com .

My 8 year old daughter has her own sewing blog. If you would like to see what she's up to, go to www.sewingsister.blogspot.com . She is currently learning how to hand sew. In a few weeks she will start learning how machine sew. She is very excited. Her six year old brother is also featured on her blog. He has been sewing right along with us. It's been a lot of fun sharing this with them.

Regards,

Trudy
www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

Jama said...

Ann, SAHM means stay at home mom lah! :p

Jama said...

Now we got another meaning for LAH!! lol
I'm a mixture of Indian and Malay, and food cooked at home are universal, malay, chinese, indian, western....as long as there's food on the table, the family don't complaint. They prefer home cooked meals than eating out.

Maria said...

I am always moved to read life stories. The kindness of others is wonderful especially when it comes at the most needed times. Gratitude is our most precious gift for those who help us and it always comes back to us in full bloom :)
Maria

Barry said...

What a touching and inspiring post. I hadn't heard of the Plunket Society before but I'm impressed.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Maria,

I tried to post a comment on your blog about tyour bag, but had trouble. Hope you get it here.

This is great. I must remember when I go to school. Then I will be a better teacher, instead of rushing in the morning.

How are you?

Ann